Aggressive Representation With Integrity

Has Your Loved One Suffered Unexplained Injuries Or Bruising?

California law prohibits the physical abuse of elders and dependent adults. In fact, absent very special circumstances such as a court order, no physical force can be used to coerce an elderly or dependent person to do anything they do not want to do. The law also requires the owners of long-term care facilities to take reasonable action to ensure that their patients are not physically abused by another patient, an employee or any visitor to the facility.

Most of us naturally assume that if our loved one were physically abused, he or she would tell us. Actually, many elders and dependent adults do not report abuse, even to their friends and family. Some assume no one will believe them. Others are afraid that the staff will retaliate as soon as their friends and family go home.

If your loved one is presently residing in a long-term care facility, be vigilant. Look for the following signs of physical abuse:

  • Unexplained cuts or bruises;
  • Broken bones;
  • Fearful or anxious behavior; and
  • The patient asks family members not to complain to the staff.

Learn more about damages recoverable in elder abuse cases.

What can I do if I think my loved one has been physically abused by a caregiver?

There is absolutely no excuse for physical abuse or any form of nursing home neglect. If you believe your loved one may have been physically abused by a caregiver, contact the elder abuse lawyers at The Gebler Firm, PC, for a free consultation. We are available to speak with you by phone at 818-876-9600, or you may send us an online consultation request.

We would be honored to speak with you about your rights, and explain the options that are available. We don't charge any attorney fees unless we obtain a recovery. With offices in Calabasas and Long Beach, we proudly represent clients throughout Southern California.

We know this is a difficult time, but don't delay. The law limits the amount of time you and your loved one have to pursue legal action. In some cases, this can be as short as six months.

Disclaimer: The information on this site is for informational and educational purposes only. None of the medical information is intended to be a substitute for professional medical judgment. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.